Did you know that the vehicles designed and manufactured in japan have an estimated fuel mileage of approximately 22.5 kilometers per liter? As a result, Japanese manufactured cars are known to be the most fuel efficient cars across the globe. So, it would be best to import cars from Japan to Kenya instead of buying a new vehicle manufactured outside Japan.
The good old days of getting your fuel tank filled for less than $30 bucks are gone. So if you are looking for cheaper fuel, you may not find one. You may be running your vehicles on fumes when you realize there is no going back.
However, you must be smart enough if you are looking for good gas mileage. But there are a few tips that can make a massive difference and help you save gas and offer better fuel efficiency.
Before You Travel
Before you plan to travel, you must keep a few things in mind that can help you get better fuel efficiency. Let us look at a few of those tips:
- Try to refill your fuel at night or some other cool time. This is because gas is most solid at these times, so you will get a better volume that can also last long.
- It is recommended to use the type of motor oil suggested by the manufacturer to surge your gas mileage by up to 2 percent.
- When you start your vehicle, you must not run the car for more than 40 seconds. If you do, you might just waste the gas in your vehicle.
- Timely tunings and servicing can save approximately 4 percent of the fuel.
- When you replace or clean a dirty air filter, gas mileage can increase by more than 10 percent.
- Ensuring recommended tire pressure to the maximum limit will help improve fuel efficiency.
- Moving on a deep tire step intensely decreases fuel efficiency.
- Eliminate redundant devices such as snow tires if you don’t need them.
- Reduce extra weight from the vehicle, which can also lessen fuel mileage.
- When you are looking to purchase or import a new car, looking at the fuel efficiency of the vehicle is recommended.
- The best cars for fuel efficiency are smaller and manual transmission cars.
- It is recommended to know the estimated fuel cost for your ride.
Tips To Get A Great Gas Mileage For Your Car
Fuel economy and efficiency are highly affected by how you drive the vehicle. For example, rapidly accelerating and speeding from a stop raises fuel consumption. On the other hand, planning a competent drive and keeping a steady speed within the suggested limit can help you go a distance on a full tank.
Moreover, let us look at ten tips that can help you get better fuel mileage. These tips will ensure that you make fewer stops at the gas station and save a lot of money.
1. Lookout For Your Speed
Fuel economy mounts at approximately 50 mph (80.4 kph) on almost every vehicle. However, once the speed increases, the fuel economy drops off. For example, dropping the speed on the highway by around 10 mph can raise fuel efficiency by 10 to 15 percent.
2. Plot Your Trips
It is recommended to map a direction before starting your trip to curtail excessive backtracking and turnarounds. Moreover, it would be best to avoid times of peak traffic. Instead, combine grocery shopping and go to one-stop shops for performing several tasks such as banking, grocery, shopping, food, etc.
3. Escape Rush Hour
You need to take advantage of flexible working hours to ensure that you do not commute during rush hours to avoid peak traffic times.
4. Drive Conventionally
It is recommended to avoid rapid and sudden starts and movement, hard braking, and rapid acceleration, as it can lower fuel economy by around 10 to 20 percent on highways and 15 to 30 percent on the street traffic.
5. Anticipate The Condition Of The Road
You need to watch the traffic forward and time the stoplights to ensure a smooth drive and avoid unnecessary stops.
6. Avoid Extreme Idling
A vehicle engine devours more than one-quarter to one-half gallon of gas per hour when idling. However, a warm vehicle engine takes approximately 15 seconds worth of gas to restart. Therefore, where safe to do so, switch off your vehicle engine if you plan to stop for more than 30 seconds.
7. Practice Cruise Control
As mentioned earlier, commuting at a constant speed on the highway can save fuel. On the other hand, you must not use cruise control on greasy streets as it may cause a damage to vehicle control.
8. Shift Gears Proficiently
If you have a manual transmission car, you must shift the gears as soon as possible. When looking to apply the brake, do it professionally. Moreover, do not downshift to reduce the speed of the vehicle.
9. Use A Fast Permit On Toll Highways
If you have a pre-paid permit on public roads, it will let you use the express lane to commute. As a result, it will save fuel by curtailing or removing tollbooth stops and slowdowns.
10. Drive To Warm The Engine
During winter and on rainy days, it would be best to start the vehicle engine and then drive the vehicle to warm it.
Five Steps To Increase Gas Mileage
Whether you are looking to deal with a hike in fuel prices or cut down your gas budget, you need to rethink your driving strategies. So, here are five steps that can help you increase gas mileage:
- Step Number 01 – Clear Out The Extra Clutter
- Step Number 02 – Perform Regular Maintenance
- Step Number 03 – Limit Idling
- Step Number 04 – Keep Your Speed Steady And Within The Speed Limit
- Step Number 05 – Check Your Tire Pressure
Pay Attention To Warning Lights
It is recommended to keep an eye on the dashboard warning lights. Unfortunately, the owners of the vehicle think a blinking check engine light is not essential as it just means you have got a production problem.
But emissions problems are practically always triggered by an imperfect burn, which means you are not receiving the most bang for your fault. In other words, an engine check light is a sign of gas or fuel wastage.
Therefore, it would be best to take the engine check light seriously and fix the problems in your engine to ensure better fuel mileage for your vehicle.
The Final Words
Even though there is no one-size-fits-all strategy for maintaining your car and getting better fuel efficiency, if you follow the tips and steps mentioned above, you can get a better fuel efficiency. As a result, you will pay less at the pumps, and the engine will perform better.
Moreover, it would be best to import cars from Japan to Kenya instead of buying a new vehicle manufactured outside Japan, as the Japanese cars are fuel efficient and light on the pocket.